Celebrating Earth Day
Thursday 22nd April 2021 marks Earth Day which is celebrated annually around the world and is used to promote environmental awareness and good practices to help conserve the biodiversity of the planet and drive action on climate change for future generations.
This years’ theme is Restore Our Earth, which focuses on natural processes, emerging green technology and innovative thinking that can help restore ecosystems and address climate change.
This year at Salix, we share a short history on Earth Day and some simple tips on how to live a more sustainable lifestyle.
The concept of Earth Day was first introduced in 1970 when millions took to the streets to voice their concern over the excessive use of gas with an almost total disregard for air pollution and the impact this would have on the wider environment and people.
It was in 1990 that Earth Day went global, as a group of passionate environmental leaders organised a major campaign for the planet. The event caught the attention of 200 million people across 141 countries, propelling the environmental agenda to the global stage. Earth Day then gave a huge boost to recycling efforts across the world, helping pave the way for the 1992 United Nations Earth Summit in Brazil.
By the early 21st century, Earth Day’s many activities included raising awareness on growing environmental concerns, especially the impact of global warming and the need for renewable energy sources. Five years ago, the International Paris Climate Agreement was opened for signatures on 22nd April 2016, on Earth Day.
Over 50 years later Earth Day is a constant reminder of the importance of conservation and sustainable actions for the benefit of future generations.
Living sustainably for a better future
We all as individuals can make a huge difference to the environment and live more sustainably. There are several ways in which you can contribute to a greener future. We have picked nine of our favourites below.
- Switch to energy-efficient LED lighting. Not only is it better for the environment, but they last longer, saving you money in the process.
- Switch off your devices instead of leaving these on standby.
- Reduce water wastage. One way of doing this is by investing in a water-saving showerhead.
- Cycle to work or use public transport if possible. Cycling is an excellent way of exercising and helps keep you fit and active.
- Adopt a slow fashion attitude, and buy clothes made from sustainable fabrics or buy second hand rather than fast fashion options.
- Cut out single use plastics.
- Buy local, this helps to support local businesses and reduces the carbon footprint of the produce.
- Invest in an electric powered vehicle instead of petrol or diesel.
- Grow pollinator-friendly plants and grow your own vegetables! This can help with your wellbeing and also supports the local wildlife.
Click here to find out more about Earth Day.
Follow us on Twitter @SalixFinance or LinkedIn to view stories on how individuals at Salix are reducing their carbon emissions.