Salix funding for local councils comes from the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy, and funding is currently available for parish, town and community councils looking to undertake energy efficiency projects.
Salix can support over 100 different energy efficiency technologies types including boilers, LED and lighting upgrades, insulation etc. Parish council’s projects commonly involve upgrading street lighting and footpath lights as well as public buildings such as village halls.
To be eligible for funding in England, projects must comply with the following criteria:
- The loan is usually repaid from energy savings within a 5 year period (projects exceeding this will repay more per annum than the energy savings or can be part funded)
- The cost of CO2e must be less than £191 per tonne over the lifetime of the project
Prior to local councils borrowing a sum of money, approval must be granted by the Secretary of State by way of the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), formely the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). This is achieved by:
- Obtaining and completing an application form with the local County Association affiliated to the National Association of Local Councils (NALC). Find your local county association here.
- Once completed the form is checked by the local County Association, and providing no obvious errors are found, it is sent to MHCLG.
- The Secretary of State’s decision is sent directly to the Clerk of the Parish, with a copy also sent to the Chair of the council and the local County Association.
Applications can be made prior to obtaining approval, with Salix reserving funding whilst approval is granted.
To download a full copy of the SEELS England application notes, please click here.
There are also previous case studies available to the public sector on the Salix knowledge share page of the website.
If you are ready to apply, please click on the 'Salix loan application' link on the right hand side and if you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us, either by using the expression of interest link or contact details below.
The England Local Authority Buildings Team includes:
|Beth Williams - Buildings||0203 102 6912||[email protected]|
|Lindy Frey - Street Lighting||0203 102 6914||[email protected]|
|Liam Gillard - Street Lighting||0203 102 6911||[email protected]|
|Edward Clark - Street Lighting||0203 102 6914||[email protected]|
|Charles Pegg- Buildings||0203 102 6913||[email protected]|
|Suki Gohel - Buildings||0203 102 6913||[email protected]|
|Client Support Officers|
|Martha Chafer - Street Lighting||0203 102 6911||[email protected]|
|Rebecca McNamara - Buildings||0203 102 6913||[email protected]|