Condition Improvement Fund (CIF) 2017/18
Salix works with the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) to assess energy saving aspects of any CIF projects.
Salix works with academies to reduce energy usage and carbon emissions by funding energy efficiency improvements. Funding through the CIF is available for all academies which do not belong to large Multi-Academy Trusts (5+ academies or 3,000+ pupils).
If you are a member of a large Multi-Academy Trust; if your project pays for itself within 8 years; or if you have another source of funding which will cover any funding gaps, you are eligible for the Salix Energy Efficiency Fund (SEEF). For more information about the SEEF please click here.
Benefits of Including a Salix Loan within a CIF Application
The funding is cost-neutral as funding is provided via an interest-free loan, which is repaid through predicted energy savings.
- Increase the value-for-money score – a key assessment criteria for all CIF bids.
- Save money on energy bills and reduce carbon emissions through energy efficiency improvements.
- Salix funds over 100 Technologies, including LED lighting and insulation that can help create a more comfortable learning environment for pupils and staff.
- Salix have HM Treasury approval for all academies to take up Salix loans.
- The repayments are recycled to fund further projects in the public-sector.
Salix and CIF
Salix's involvement in CIF is to assess projects with an energy saving dimension. This includes energy savings associated with projects such as boiler/heating system upgrades, insulation in roofs, walls and pipework, windows/draught proofing, cladding and curtain walling.
In most cases the project types mentioned above will have an energy saving but may take more than 8 years to pay for themselves. If this is the case, these projects can be funded through a combination of an interest-free Salix loan alongside either a CIF loan or CIF grant funding.
How do I work out how much Salix loan I can apply for?
When you know what the annual energy bills saving will be, multiply this value by 8 to give you your maximum Salix loan. The minimum Salix loan value that can be included in a CIF bid is £8,000.
- When applying for a CIF bid that includes a Salix element, please refer to the CIF guidance.
- Academies are allowed two CIF bids
The CIF Application Process
To aid our assessment of your project's energy savings, Salix ask you to complete the following:
- The Salix Energy Savings Support Tool
- We also ask you to include any supporting information showing how the savings and operational hours have been calculated, and the technical specifications of the equipment to be installed in your CIF application.
Please note: Salix don't count any maintenance savings, these are an added benefit for the academy and shouldn't be included in your loan amount requested.
Deadlines for CIF - Please note these are different to SEEF
Applications are now open
The deadline for all applications for CIF 2018 to 2019 is midday on 14 December 2017. If you are applying to CIF for the first time, you must register to use the portal by 5pm on 30 November 2017.
Applications should be submitted to the ESFA via the portal. Please do not submit CIF Applications directly to Salix.
For more information please refer to the ESFA CIF 2017/2018 guidance document here.
Successful applicants will be notified after applications close by the April 2018.
Projects typically have 12 months to complete, larger projects may be given up to 24 months to complete.
If you have a query please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.