Condition Improvement Fund (CIF) 2019/2020
Salix works with the Department for Education (DfE) to assess energy saving aspects of any CIF projects.
Salix works with academies, sixth-form colleges, free schools and Multi-Academy Trusts to reduce energy usage and carbon emissions by funding energy efficiency improvements. Funding through the CIF is available for all academies which do not belong to large Multi-Academy Trusts (5+ academies or 3,000+ pupils).
If you are a member of a large Multi-Academy Trust; if your project pays for itself within 8 years; or if you have another source of funding which will cover any funding gaps, you are eligible for the Salix Energy Efficiency Fund (SEEF). For more information about the SEEF please click here.
Benefits of Including an Interest-Free Loan within a CIF Application
The funding is cost-neutral as funding is provided via an interest-free loan, which is repaid through predicted energy savings.
- Increase the value-for-money score – a key assessment criteria for all CIF bids.
- Save money on energy bills and reduce carbon emissions through energy efficiency improvements.
- Salix supports over 100 Technologies, including LED lighting and insulation that can help create a more comfortable learning environment for pupils and staff.
- Salix have HM Treasury approval for all academies to take up loans.
- The repayments are recycled to fund further projects in the public-sector.
Salix and CIF
Salix's involvement in CIF is to assess projects with an energy saving dimension. This includes energy savings associated with projects such as boiler/heating system upgrades, insulation in roofs, walls and pipework, windows/draught proofing, cladding and curtain walling.
In most cases the project types mentioned above will have an energy saving but may take more than 8 years to pay for themselves. If this is the case, these projects can be funded through a combination of an interest-free Salix loan alongside either a CIF loan or CIF grant funding.
How do I work out how much interest-free loan I can apply for?
When you know what the annual energy bills saving will be, multiply this value by 8 to give you your maximum loan value. The minimum loan value that can be included in a CIF bid is £8,000.
- When applying for a CIF bid that includes a Salix element, please refer to the CIF guidance.
- Academies are allowed two CIF bids
The CIF Application Process
To aid our assessment of your project's energy savings, Salix ask you to complete the following:
- The Salix Energy Savings Support Tool
- We also ask you to include any supporting information showing how the savings and operational hours have been calculated, and the technical specifications of the equipment to be installed in your CIF application.
Please note: Salix don't count any maintenance savings, these are an added benefit for the academy and shouldn't be included in your loan amount requested.
Deadlines for CIF - Please note these are different to SEEF
Applications opened on Tuesday 23rd October 2018.
The deadline for new applicants to register is 5pm 30th November 2018.
The deadline for submissions is 12 noon on Thursday 13th December 2018.
For more information please refer to the DfE CIF 2019/2020 guidance document here.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome in Spring 2019.
Projects typically have 12 months to complete, larger projects may be given up to 24 months to complete.
If you have a query please email: [email protected]