Grendon Parish Council in Northamptonshire applied to Salix for an interest-free loan to part finance the replacement of the council’s street lighting stock. Grendon had the aim of modernising the council’s street lighting lanterns to light emitting diodes (LED), which would reduce the council’s energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. The council used an interest-free loan of £4,800 to part finance a £9,500 programme to upgrade 34 street lights with energy efficient LED lanterns.
Grendon now benefits from a 9,431 kWh reduction in its annual electricity usage, saving the council £970 and 4.24 tonnes of CO2 e* per annum. The project has also benefited the parish residents by providing improved lighting to its footpaths.
“I would urge any other parish councils who are looking into financing the upgrading of street lighting to certainly consider Salix Finance as a source of appropriate funding.”
“ A win-win situation for all, in that not only have residents benefitted from better lighting of the footpaths within the village, the council has not had to dip into reserves and can continue to channel its resources into supporting local clubs and associations, along with enhancing the environment of the village.”
Ian Denton, Chairman of Grendon Parish Council
Please find a copy of the full case study on the Salix free knowledge share area.
How can Salix help you?
- Interest-free finance for energy efficiency
- Dedicated support officer to guide you through the process
- Ability to part finance projects
- Different projects can be combined into one application with an overall payback, allowing the council to benefit from a more holistic approach
- Salix Knowledge Share is available online, sharing best practices through case studies and project knowledge slides
- Technical checks on all energy efficiency applications
Funding is available – for more information or to apply please contact the Local Authorities Team to find out how Salix can help you improve your energy efficiency on [email protected] or call 0203 102 6900
Follow us on Twitter @SalixFinance #SalixFunded